Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Divine interruptions


“You know, … my whole life I have been complaining that my work was constantly interrupted, until I discovered that my interruptions were my work.” Henri Nouwen, Reaching Out.

I love routine, it sometimes becomes my god! And by that I mean it becomes my security. I know that I have certain tasks to achieve in a week and they are sorted out into days, mornings, afternoons and evenings. I feel good when a day goes by and I can say I have achieved my goals. However, the upset when it doesn’t go according to plan! The irritation when I know that the last two days I was interrupted by unplanned meetings, pastoral calamities, and family visits. How important it is for me to realize that just maybe all these interruptions are the things I am called to work with. Instead of squeezing them into times when I can deal with them, to rather see them as the goals of my life. The world cannot be put aside and be dealt with according to my agenda, the world is my agenda!

2 comments:

digitaldion (Dion Forster) said...

Thanks David!

This is just what I needed to be reminded of today!

Blessings my friend! It was great to see you last week.

D

David Barbour said...

Good to see you guys too.
We are looking forward to the seminary in PMB. Keep up the good work.

Ciao