Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Mission



standing notably tall
above corrugated iron and tyres
the green head blows proud 
in this place of shade where my
children swing safely in branches
to and fro, to and fro, to and fro

when hungry I reach for low hanging fruit 
then climb branches for a view, 
away from my flat life 
to picnic with honest friends 
allowing ants crawl over ankles 
and bees balance on bottle rims

there I lean back on the trunk 
to make myself feel young
against seed planted years ago 
by missionaries who loved us
their roots far below 
stuck down firm in 
the mud of our lives 
soaking up our spirit 
into things earthy and eternal

here I taste the fruit of my ancestors 
they who dug the hole 
and danced with joy 
that I may lie here and hear my children 
sweetly swinging, sweetly swinging

* The mission brings health to a community once devastated by HIV/AIDS but now bearing stories of hope

No comments: