Thursday, November 25, 2010

My Rainbow - Frank Meintjies

I read a poem by a South African poet Frank Meintjies yesterday that gave me a haunting sense of where many of those I taught on Wednesday were at. There were 13 folks listening intently as I shared the hope we have in Christ and how this transforms ones living. All of them HIV/AIDS clients at Masibumbane mission. They were all on my mind when I read this poem. I will just quote it in parts as I don't think it is legit to copy it all:

" on better days
my rainbow is your smile

more
frequently, my rainbow bleeds...

my rainbow's sharp edges
cut
as i try to pick it up

deep patterning
its marks
on the palm of my heart

my rainbow is a purple bruise
slowy
sluggishly regaining
the colour of living flesh"

They are such lovely, smiling people, but I know as I try to encourage them and lift them up, their hurts and past wounds will cut me and make my heart bleed. But, when they smile it is my rainbow of hope.

No comments: